ping pong table

guide and resources to care or choose your ping pong table

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

ping pong table: Father-son duo double their fun in BSSG

By JOHN LETASKY
Of The Gazette Staff

Whether they are playing with a paddle or a racket, be on the lookout for the Bradys this weekend.

The father-son duo of Lance and Ryan are doubles partners in both table tennis and tennis at the 21st annual Big Sky State Games. They are both also entered in singles in table tennis.

The Bradys will be playing table tennis at Rocky Mountain College and tennis at Pioneer Park. It is the third time Lance, 50, has competed in the BSSG and the fifth time for Ryan, 18. Both have interesting reasons for participating.

"For me I'm usually a spectator and I always like watching," said Lance, who is a civil engineer for the Bureau of Land Management. "It's just fun. I know a lot of people and a lot of kids playing and I enjoy watching them. As far as why I'm playing this year, I guess he (Ryan) conned me into it."

"I play for similar reasons (as my father)," said Ryan, who graduated from Billings West this spring and plans to attend Montana State. "I know a lot of people and a lot of my friends play. It's another event to compete against them. Also, it helps me know athletes from other cities I might play against in tennis."

While the Bradys have never played in a table tennis tournament, they did play tennis together two years ago at the BSSG and, according to Lance, it was the "first and only time we played tennis together."

Although they have limited experience playing in tourneys together, it's not like the Bradys are not up to the task. Ryan played varsity tennis all four years he was at West, including three years in doubles. This past season West tied for the Class AA boys team championship with Bozeman. Ryan and doubles partner Jacob Ness helped the Bears' charge with a fourth-place showing.

"We just thought it would be a fun thing to do," said Ryan of entering BSSG. "Just get a little practice in and give it a go for better or for worse."

At their home, the Brady's have a ping pong table in the basement and they go through periods where they play a lot of games every night. Ryan said that regardless of the outcome, the games are still a challenge and enjoyable.

"Ryan usually wins," said Lance. "I'll have a spell where I win more than half. Those are kind of rare. I try to win one or two games out of 12.

"I never wanted to keep score with Ryan until he was competitive with me, and before long he was regularly beating me and that was probably five years ago."

Although at these BSSG table tennis is played indoors in air conditioned comfort and tennis outside in temperatures approaching 100 degrees, the sports do offer certain similarities and differences.

"I think a little table tennis can help regular tennis," said Lance. "It requires a quick reaction and hand-eye coordination. Of course you aren't moving with your legs as much. I don't see tennis helping table tennis skills as much."

"I find a lot of tennis players more so than other athletes play table tennis," said Ryan. "Both sports help each other with respect to following the spin of the ball and the hand-eye coordination. Also, the sports just how they look. Table tennis is just like tennis but on a smaller scale and that's why tennis players are attracted to table tennis and vice-versa."

At these BSSG, Ryan is expecting a good showing from him and his father. That competitive nature will serve him well in college intramural activities such as tennis, table tennis and chess.

"I know a lot of the other kids who have played in the Big Sky State Games for table tennis and I'd like to think I'm better," said Ryan. "It will be fun."


Published on Sunday, July 16, 2006.
Last modified on 7/16/2006 at 1:50 am


Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home